What I do
From project proposal to live-ops improvements.
Working with gameplay designers, producers, and clients to spec UI/UX needs for projects.
Designing menu flow and creating initial wireframes in Adobe XD. Designing for different device form factors and operating systems.
2D and UI Art
Concept sketches, and establishing UI style with Photoshop mockups. Creating production-ready assets, icons, and logos.
A preference for vector assets: Using vector shapes whenever possible in the course of UI production for easily resizable and modifiable elements.
Creating 2D animations in Spine.
Setting up and maintaining complex UI layouts in Unity. Assisting with UI scripting and hook-up with C#. Creating animations for menu transitions, fanfare and celebration flows. Creating particle effects.
Years of experience with developing games in Java.
Making sure that user interfaces work with localized text for different languages.
- Adobe XD
- Java / libGDX
- Spine (Esoteric Software)
- Android Studio, Visual Studio
- Git, SVN
- Blender 3D
2021 - Present
Penn Game Studios - Senior UI/UX Designer
In May 2021, HitPoint Studios was acquired by Penn National Gaming to develop new real-money games.
2013 - 2021
HitPoint Studios - UX Director and UI Artist
Leading the visual and UX design across studio projects including AR and mobile games. Developing wireframes, storyboards, mood boards and creating UI specifications that describe the user experience to a project's stakeholders. Working closely with game designers and engineers. Creating in-game UI assets, implementing user interfaces in-engine. Adding animation and polish. Creating marketing materials for projects and the studio. Assisting with reviewing candidates for additional UI staff and onboarding new hires.
As UI Artist for 4 years, I was responsible for in-game UI assets, implementing user interfaces in-engine. Adding animation and polish. Drawing isometric game buildings and decorations. Creating hidden-object scenes.
- Venture Valley - PC, Mobile - Singleton Foundation
- Game of Games - Mobile - Ellen Digital Ventures
- Gettysburg AR Demo - Mobile - Niantic
- Color BlastAR - Mobile - HitPoint
- Disney Magic Timer - Mobile - Disney/P&G
- Star Wars Porg Invasion - HTML5 Mobile - LucasFilm/Disney
- Starbucks Hopscotch Rewards - HTML5 Mobile
- Adera - Mobile - HitPoint
- Kody Kapow Village Defender - Mobile - Universal Kids
- Dragons Adventure World Explorer - Mobile - DreamWorks
- Fablewood - Facebook, Mobile - HitPoint
- Seaside Getaway - Mobile - HitPoint
- Seaside Hideaway - Facebook - HitPoint
- Hell Marys - Mobile - HitPoint
2013 - Present
Cairn4 Games - Self Employed
Developing my own games on the side in Java / libGDX. Learning new things as I go. Creating all game art assets and animations. Steamworks SDK integration and Steam Store presence. Maintaining community engagement on a Discord server. Experience integrating with Google Games Play Services. Google Play and Apple App Store submissions.
- MewnBase - Windows/Mac/Linux
- Pombie Jump - Mobile
- Pombie Zong - Mobile
2017 - Present
Ransacked Studios - Artist
Working as part of a team of 3 developers on some independent games. Responsible for 2D assets, FX, menus, integration in-Engine, and marketing and promotional materials.
- Glitch's Trip - PC, Switch, Xbox
- Zombie Scrapper - PC, Switch, Mobile
2008 - 2012
ImagineEngine/F9E - Lead Artist
Designing and implementing, user interfaces and 2D art for PC, console, handheld and mobile games. Responsible for setting the visual style of our products through concept art for characters and environments, storyboarding and providing direction to the oursource teams. UI scripting and additional FX work and 3D modeling.
- Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed - Nintendo 3DS
- Wreck-It Ralph - Nintendo 3DS
- AXEMAN Mobile - Mobile
- Apples to Apples - Xbox 360, PS3
- Monster High: Ghoul Spirit - Wii, DS
- Haunted House - PC, Xbox 360, Wii - Atari
- Defense Acquisition University training project - PC
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel - Wii, DS
- Are you Smarter than a 5th Grade: Back to School - Wii, DS
- Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader: Game Time - Xbox 360, Wii
- Cesar Millan’s Dog Whisperer - DS, PC
2008 - 2014
Freelance Web Developer
Designed and developed portfolio and websites for a variety of clients, mainly in the video production industry. Creating custom WordPress themes.
2006 - 2008
UMass Dartmouth - Internet Systems Designer / Developer
North Dartmouth, MA
Working as web designer and developer for the University’s staff and faculty. Was responsible for redesigning the University’s website to provide a visual consistantency throughout its many departments and organizations. Helped lead the implementation of new web technologies such as streaming live video and audiocasts.
Also worked part-time an under-graduate student for 2 years in the same department.
2006 - 2007
Third Screen Media - Freelance Artist
Animated Flash promotional materials. Mockups and creative assets for mobile advertising campaigns.
2003 - 2007
Dragonfly Game Design - Freelance Artist
Working with a small group in developing PC games. Responsible for art and graphics of the game interface as well as web design and printed media.
2002 - 2006
BFA Visual Design - Electronic Imaging
University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth
Summa Cum Laude, Commonwealth Scholar - Honors Program
Focus on virtual reality, 3D modelling and animation, 2D animation, and graphic design.